Thursday, October 23, 2008

Innovation in Disadvantaged Schools

In his comment on my contention that new technology strategies are needed for gathering and organizing evidence of student progress, Danny asks for ideas about how to deal with the "digital divide" still present in many urban areas. It is a valuable question because it recognizes current reality. Many kids in poverty have very limited time with computers and the Web. They don't have access at home and have a small window of time to use library computers because of extracurricular activities (which, of course, are also important).

What I would suggest first is to advocate for greater school-based and community-based access to computers. For example, could the school be opened on weekends so students could use computers? Might local organizations, such as churches, libraries, and rec centers, work with the school to start some Internet cafes around the community?

I also would learn to write grants and be on the lookout for technology grants that could support the above ideas and/or provide funds for inexpensive laptops that could be issued to students. A local business partner might also be cultivated for this purpose.

Another idea for dealing with limited access might be to structure learning experiences that take this into account. I am old enough to remember when knowledge workers didn't have their own PCs. When I taught writing classes in the early 80s, I had to use a computer in a central lab to do all my handouts. When I started working as a writer at NASA in the late 80s, we also didn't have our own PCs, believe it or not. Our group worked in what we called the "PC pit" and there were always one or two people waiting to use a computer. This was far from ideal, but it did instill some time management and organizational skills.

I wonder if limited computer access might be turned into an opportunity for students to develop resourcefulness, time management, and a more thoughtful approach to using information technology. Having that space separating the knowledge they are acquiring and managing and the knowledge technology could lead to the development of analytical skills (e.g., When I get my hour on the computer today, how am I going to organize this information? What are the goals of my Web search and how will I organize my search results? What do I want this presentation or Web page I am designing to look like? How can our group collaborate to make sure each of us uses the available resources optimally?) Many students with unlimited computer access spend a lot of time playing around whether it's trying every font when they should be writing or following interesting but not immediately relevant information trails in the search for the specific information needed to complete the task at hand. (The latter is something I tend to do). Many good Web designers will tell you that it's better to sketch out the site on paper before going to the computer. How many creative design ideas have been lost because of access to an array of pre-designed templates? The digital "have nots" just might turn out to be the best problem-solvers.

Again, I think time to play and experiment is valuable. Those open-ended searches have helped me. And socioeconomic status should not limit access to vital learning tools. But learning to be strategic in the use of resources and thinking more intensively about how knowledge can be represented just might be the up side of this dilemma while teachers wait for greater equity in access to technology.

1 comment:

Lois K. Feibus said...

My daughter cried Friday,when, in the disavantaged school in urban Pittsburgh, in which she is a teacher-ed student observer, they literally, carried out, a six year old child, who was kicking and screaming, because, he was to be institutionalized. "He cannot come back," she said, "Until they find out what is wrong with him." "What is wrong with him, Mom," she said to me, "is that this is all that his teacher could come up with."